Milwaukee County, in collaboration with the City of Milwaukee, has developed a rolling RFP process for all developable publicly owned Park East properties, which has and will grant developers flexibility in defining the scope of redevelopment proposals. Rather than accepting proposals on a block-by-block basis, developers have had the option of combining blocks or breaking larger blocks up by lot.
Once issued, the RFP will remain open until all available blocks of the Park East are under an Option to Purchase. Though proposals can be submitted to the County Clerk’s office at any time, they will only be reviewed once per month; the deadline for review is first Monday of each month.
Streamlined Submission and Review
The County and City have adopted a concurrent review process. This collaboration will ensure a smoother approval process, as City input is crucial in determining whether requests for use or design changes and financial assistance might be considered.
General Review Schedule:
- A rotating panel of five economic development professionals from the Milwaukee area, including County and City staff, will review submitted proposals once a month.
- After receiving proposals, panel members will have 2 weeks to score them and request a group interview and/or presentation from one or more of the proposers.
- Interviews/presentations by the development teams, if requested, will occur in the third week following submittal.
- After interviews/presentations are completed, the committee can recommend, reject, or hold any proposal(s), as determined in the best interests of the County and the City.
- If all goes as planned, the review and approval process will take approximately 2 months. Once approved, negotiations will begin between the developer, County and the City (if applicable), to enter into an option to purchase and define the terms of the future development agreement. Templates of the County’s Option Agreement and Development Agreement are included in the RFP. Any requested deviations from the template agreements should be included in the RFP response.